My dog ate catnip!
When my dog ate catnip, I immediately wondered if he was going to start running like crazy or if he would die instead. I had no idea what to expect. I think you will feel calm after discussing some things.
- It does not poison your dog! Most dogs do not have any negative reactions. At best, there may be an upset stomach, but nothing major. That would also be only if he ate A LOT. My dog managed to eat the cat’s two catnip mice. No problem. His stool was a little runny the next day, but nothing of great concern.
- He may start sneezing, but that will be the worst. You won’t see your dog get too sick and sneeze to the point of not being able to do anything else. It may look more like you have dust on your nose. Basically, depending on where the catnip was when you accessed it, it could very well be due to the catnip getting into your nose. Was it loose in a bag or was it part of a mouse that stayed attached for the most part? If you chewed the mouse into pieces, it probably got some catnip up its nose!
- When purchasing catnip or a catnip toy for your cat, it would be a good idea to verify that you purchase natural, unsprayed catnip. You always run the risk that there is something unknown in the product if it has been sprayed with something for whatever reason. If you start buying catnip in a more natural state, your dog will have less of an upset stomach if he chooses to stick with it.
- You may find that catnip has the same effect on your dog as it does on your cat. If your dog starts running and going crazy (but happy), then you get a 2 for 1 deal when it comes to toys for your animals. However, you may need to purchase a sturdier one for your dog!
- You can make your own “dognip” toy by taking the stuffing out of a normal dog toy and filling it with anise seeds or anise extract. This makes it a WONDERFUL and inexpensive toy. Especially if you have a few extra toys lying around that have had better filler days. It is a great way to recycle.
- If you notice that your dog is getting very tired and ill, and that catnip doesn’t seem to be the real problem, you may need to inspect the dog food options. There are many unsafe dog foods and you may see symptoms of that. It takes some time to research food, but be sure to take the time to do it.